Friday, July 10, 2015

August 10 on 10: Letting Go

These past two months have been tough. My father-in-law's health has been declining for a while so when we received a call that he could really be close to the end of his life we packed up our essentials, rented minivan and drove from California to Illinois .Since we were crossing my father's favorite part of the country we thought it was the best opportunity to scatter his ashes (he died five years ago). He loved the Southwest and we stopped in Utah at a beautiful scenic spot.





It seemed as if we could see to the end of the earth from this spot. After saying a short prayer we scattered some of his ashes. This was the longest drive I have ever done and I wish we could have done it at a leisurely pace but that wasn't possible. We were hoping to get to Illinois so my husband could see his father before it was too late.


We entered Colorado after a short rest in Utah and drove through some beautiful country. We all loved the scenery and even the ski resorts were a gorgeous sight during their off season. Much of the day we drove along parts of the Colorado River. It was refreshing to see so much water after leaving our drought ravaged California.

This was the next (and last) stop where we scattered my dad's ashes. It was perfect as this river travels through so much of his favorite parts of the country. It was late afternoon and cool. Rain started to splatter the windshield and we heard thunder in the distance. The sky was moody and dramatic, a perfect backdrop to my emotions.


I finally took a break from driving and my husband got in the driver's seat as we were leaving Colorado and heading towards Nebraska. This shot was taken from the backseat of the minivan through the window. The sunset was breathtaking. A little later we saw lightening in the distance and we drove into a heavy rainstorm with the most dramatic light show I've ever seen.


We arrived in Illinois after midnight and Scott saw his dad the next day. It was a lovely moment, his dad knew him and gave him a huge hug, he held on tight and didn't want to let go. I took a long walk by myself with my camera on a nearby forest preserve. After being in a car for so long it felt good to be out in nature. It's really beautiful here.


We were here exactly one week when Scott's father passed away on July 4th. I feel so fortunate that we are all able to be here. The fact that it wasn't just a quick visit, that we are here to be with family, especially his mom and sister, supporting each other is priceless.

 Little Scott with his parents.

After our first full day here.


It was 25 years ago on July 5th that my mom passed away. Being present to all of these losses is difficult. Staying in appreciation for all of the gifts they've given me makes it a little better. This photo was taken by my dad at UCLA's botanical gardens where we used to picnic. My love of nature was cultivated on these visits. There were trails throughout and a little stream and a waterfall, tons of trees and plants. So many things to discover. I feel this young girl living inside me still. She is bereft without her parents. I try to nurture and love her best I can.




Please follow the blog circle to see what everyone else has been up to, starting with Trini.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Lovey. Thank you for sharing your very precious moments. I hug you big time for the losses you endured and for what had to have been a very difficult month for you. So nice to be able to capture these beautiful places on your journey of letting go with your artful eye - a gift your Dad most certainly bestowed on you! Love you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you more! Thank you for your lovely comment xoo

      Delete
  2. Hi there,
    I love your perspective on life, how to be able to see the beauty surrounding you in these sad days.
    I often find my camera a great friend when I am feeling down, the camera makes us focus on something in the present and at the same time it makes it possible to find pictures of memories.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful story and moments. I am so glad you made it to your husband´s father in time.
    With love from Norway, and the best for the days to come,
    Trini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trini - I agree that the camera shifts our attention and allows us to look at things from a different perspective. Looking forward to seeing your next post.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry for all the losses in your family :-(
    Thank you for sharing these precious moments, for seeing beauty through such a sad time.
    With love from Brazil <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for the losses you have had an am so happy that you were able to get to Illinois in time to see Scott's dad. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristina for your thoughts and prayers! It really warms my heart.

      Delete
  5. Your images are so beautiful, and your words are moving and heartfelt. I have tears. My heart goes out to you and I hope the kind and loving memories carry you through those difficult days. I'm glad you try to nurture the little girl in your soul and are extra kind to her during those most challenging moments. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness! Our little circle is full of lovely people. xoxo

      Delete
  6. I am sorry for your losses. My heart goes out to you. I am glad you made it to the Midwest in time to see your father-in-law and glad you got to spend some time with family. Thank you for sharing your journey through your lens with such beautiful photographs and your thoughtful, touching words during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Bonnie! I appreciate you.

      Delete