Thursday, April 9, 2015

April 10 on 10: Mini Spring Break

One of the disadvantages of working in a tax office is no days off for Spring Break. This inspires creativity to try and squeeze in little breaks when and where we can. On Saturday my husband suggested we take a ride to the beach.We lived by the beach when we were first married and really enjoyed being close to the water. We left home at 5 pm and arrived as most people were leaving, found easy parking and sat on the sand.











There's something amazing about standing at the edge of a continent. This is where sky meets ocean and it's as close as my little brain can get to the concept of infinity. I finally relax and become present to each of my senses. Hearing the waves gently rolling in, the rhythm changing with each set. Feeling the sand and the bracing cold water on my bare feet, the breeze on my face. The fresh salty scent and whatever the magic of this place does to reset my breathing, it's working.

This perspective gives me a window to see my small thoughts that whisper I'm capable of little, that my efforts will mostly go unnoticed. Standing here I feel the connection we all have with each other and I look to the north, following this coast all the way through three states and on to Canada... then turning south towards Mexico, Central America, to the tip of Patagonia.

This vastness, instead of making me feel small or insignificant, fills me with possibility. I turn towards home renewed, no longer paralyzed by smallness.




My other mini break was a couple of hours at the local golf course with my little brother and my son. I've been fortunate this year to have the opportunity to spend more time with James. I adore my brother and haven't spent enough time with him these last few years due to the tyranny of work schedules and logistics. He has a brilliant sense of humor and we riff off each other until our faces hurt from laughter. 


My only complaint is that both he and my son hate having their photo taken. They are ninja quick with a head turn or a hand in front of the lens. I took a few surreptitious pics, and although this will have to do for now I would love to have a some that include their (very nice) faces.







My advice to myself and anyone else who gets caught up in the busy: Take a mini break. It doesn't have to be a major excursion that requires much planning or packing. Any time outside is beneficial for me. Find out what works for you...

Please follow our 10 on 10 circle of talented women ~ next is Luciane Steiner  I am looking forward to seeing what she's been up to this month!

14 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures, makes me want a short spring break myself :-) It almost looks like Norway, amazing captures. Thank you for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trini! I'd love to see Norway ~ it's on my wish list.

      Delete
  2. The beach looks peaceful and quiet, I'm sure it was a nice place and time for a mini break and let the mind wonder to far away places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach is wonderful, why do I wait so long to go? Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Big fan of the mini break too, Kathleen! Good for you for just making it happen with the important people in your lives. Good luck this coming week with your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne, five more days & then some relief. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Great photographs. The beach looks beautiful in the soft, evening light and it is great that you made time to spend with your brother. Yes, people need to take more breaks from work--whether they are mini breaks or longer vacations.And the beauty of a mini-break is that you don't have to pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to a time when I can take a longer break but in the meantime... Thank you for your kind comment!

      Delete
  5. So much color and life! Love those ocean photos - with the glimmering light, and you're right...there's something about standing at the edge of the continent. I'm happy that you got to make a break for your yourself and take time to be with family while being creative and snapping shots too!!! Gorgeous images! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimbellini ~ I appreciate your kind words xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. Mini breaks are always a good thing! And you are so fortunate to live by the beach. Glad you were able to spend quality time with your brother and son (even if they were camera shy). Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristina ~ I'm so happy to be a part of this group. It helps motivate me to get out more. I appreciate you taking the time to comment!!

      Delete
  7. What a nice post, and great message. I'm so glad you got time to take a break, and enjoy the beauty of the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally, completely, whole-heartedly agree on the mini-breaks! Any break (no matter how small) is reinvigorating and necessary! Your words from your beach outing are so beautiful, relaxing and serene. I felt like I was right there with you <3 Thanks for sharing such lovely images and inviting us into your spring breaks :)

    ReplyDelete